It’s a Bombarda!
Stop and energize on the slopes in Italy with a Bombardino, the ultimate winter cocktail created in Livigno, a well-known ski resort in the Italian Alps, by a young guy from Genova who had come to manage the Mottolino refuge. Being not quite accustomed to the cold of the mountain winter, he decided to find a solution to help him survive the season. The result is this hot cocktail made with milk, whiskey and eggnog.
The story goes that the first person to taste the drink is said to have exclaimed, “Damn! It’s a bombarda!”, meaning that it was like a bomb and that is how it earned its name.
BOMBARDINO : THE ORIGINAL RECIPE
Over time, the recipe has evolved, maintaining only two key points; the alcohol content (up to 30% vol) and the hot eggnog (egg yolk, sugar and Marsala liqueur). You can also use Advocaat in place of the eggnog. Milk has in fact been replaced by cream and the whiskey by brandy.
- 2/3 eggnog or Advocaat
- 1/3 brandy
- whipped Cream
- In a saucepan heat the eggnog without bringing it to a boil then remove from the heat and add the brandy.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with whipped cream. Sprinkle with cocoa powder if desired.
And the variants ……
There are three variations of the classic bombardino, always made with the eggnog base :
- the ‘Calimero’ – eggnog and espresso coffee
- the ‘Pirata’ – with rum instead of brandy
- the Scozzeze’ – with whiskey instead of brandy
- …. you can also substitute the brandy with grappa!
You might also like to read this post about skiing in Tuscany from our family trip to Abetone in 2018!