Negroni – The Florentine History
The classic cocktail Negroni was founded in Florence at the bar Caffe Giacosa (now owned by Roberto Cavalli as his store takes up the corner where the original bar once stood)
It was 1919 or 1920, the years in Florence when the cafe bar was the place where important and international people would meet.
One of these famous and international characters was Count Camillo Negroni who one day asked the barman, Fosco Scarselli to make his usual Americano cocktail stronger by adding some gin. This drink became the Count’s favorite and credit must also be given to the barman, Scarselli who recorded the drink and added it to the menu thus ensuring it had a place in Florentine history.
A Negroni is very simply made using 3 equal parts of Martini Rosso, London Dry Gin (Gordons or Tanqueray) and Campari. Stir with ice and garnish with orange peel.
This is a very refreshing drink during Summer. It is a little bitter and quite strong!